Would you like to work for a company with a rich heritage and an exceptional reputation for innovation and quality? Would you like to work for a company that supports your development and gives you the opportunity to raise your profile and grow as a recognised professional? If so, we would love to hear from you!
Chelsea Technologies is a market leading environmental sensor manufacturer based in Surrey UK, offering a variety of solutions to the green shipping, marine science, water quality, agriculture and defence sectors.
We are a diverse and inclusive family of scientists, designers, engineers, manufacturing experts and businesspeople who work every day to deliver new ways for the world to solve problems and protect the environment; and there has never been a better time to join us as we grow and prepare for the next 55 years in business.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated Production Manager specialising in Lean Manufacture to lead our Production function.
What are the key responsibilities?
- Managing all aspects of the production output and manufacturing process within the organisation using a lean manufacturing model.
- Reviewing the current production processes and devising improved production management techniques with lean management concepts.
- Planning, organising, coordinating and controlling production within the organisation.
- Ensuring that goods and services are produced efficiently and are of correct quantity, quality and cost and are delivered on time, right first time to agreed delivery dates.
- Selecting the appropriate process method ie from batch, flow line, cell manufacturing, outsource or subcontract production.
- Monitoring the production demand input and sales pipeline forecast then calculating, and budgeting for, the labour, material, equipment and tooling resources required to balance supply and demand.
- In cooperation with sales and master scheduling or planning colleagues support the quote process by calculating manufacturing costs. delivery dates and lead-times of products and services offered to the customers.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on production variances and implementing strategies to eliminate variances and reduce standard cost and overhead cost.
- Ensuring work order jobs are started and finished on time.
- Ensuring all production equipment and tooling meets required calibration validity and maintenance standards.
- Operating full 5S process compliance within manufacturing.
- Processing the production element of engineering change orders or engineering change requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintaining accurate data within the MRP system on manufacturing lead-times, economical batch sizes, labour times, labour costs, efficiencies, work centres, routings and inspection conditions.
- Managing and publishing a skills and training matrix for all production staff and mitigating any risk of key worker sole provider concerns via cross training or other effective means.
- In cooperation with the Master Scheduler or MRP Controller and Planners manage a capacity plan and an effective production control system including the work order document control process.
- Supporting the operations team to devise and implement innovative strategies and techniques to deliver and maintain a world class prestige manufacturing environment operating under a continuous improvement philosophy.
- Creating, validating and publishing month end reports and key performance indicators to the senior management team as directed relating to the production department.
- Maintaining and publishing effective ISO 9001 (2015) conforming process maps, policies, procedures and work instructions in support of our ongoing certification to this ISO standard or other certifications we hold or plan to obtain.
- Maintaining and publishing Control Plans and a Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) on all manufactured items as guided / requested by the Operations Plan or department objectives.
- Creating and maintaining Standard Operation Procedures and Video Standard Operating Procedures ( SOP’s and VSOPS’s)
Who might be a good fit?
Chelsea is proud of its diverse workforce and pro-actively seeks to be an inclusive employer. If you can meet the requirements and you have the drive and resilience to succeed, we will welcome everything else that makes you unique.
- Preferred technical/engineering qualifications or have demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Preferred Production Management qualifications or have demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Experience of running production in an instrument / high tech manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with ERP and MRP systems and other business software (e.g. Office).
- Experience of management of people and resources
- Highly motivated and self-driven
- High level of commercial awareness
- Excellent organisational, leadership and people skills
- Problem-solving mentality
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Growth mindset when it comes to Production excellence
What else can you tell me?
- Package – Along with a competitive salary, Chelsea offers a quality pension scheme, life assurance and 25 days annual leave plus public holidays.
- Hours – 37.5 hours Monday – Friday.
Chelsea Technologies undertakes defence contracting work and therefore candidates must be suitable for SC security clearance with the UK Vetting Service.
Please submit your CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the above criteria to Ellen Keegan Please include details of salary expectation.