BACTI-Wader and BACTI-Wader Pro: Provides instant measurements of water-borne bacteria avoiding lengthy & potentially costly delays in obtaining labratory results
Chelsea Technologies Group's BACTI-Wader and BACTI-Wader Pro systems allow surveyors and regulators to assess real-time, in situ levels of bacteria in water systems. This is achieved by detecting UV Tryptophan fluorescence, which has been shown to correlate with bacterial levels.
The BACTI-Wader comprises a CTG UviLux fluorometer and a Hawk handheld display and logging unit. CTG’s UviLux fluorometers detect UV fluorescence with industry-leading sensitivity and selectivity and have been optimised for minimal interference from water turbidity. Data is displayed on the Hawk’s colour touchscreen and logged internally.
- River pollution surveillance and investigative monitoring
- Bathing water quality monitoring
- Point source pollution surveys
- Farm run-off detection and tracking
- Assessment of bathing & shellfish waters
- Groundwater quality monitoring
- Combined Sewage Overflow (CSO) event detection
- Faecal Indicator (FI) monitoring
- Real-time display of Tryptophan concentration (in µg/l)
- User set Red, Amber, Green (RAG) data warning display
- Simple, single touch data logging (2Gbyte storage capacity)
- Position and time stamping of recorded data
- Uses rechargeable or disposable batteries
- High sensitivity
BACTI-Wader and BACTI-Wader Pro systems allow surveyors and regulators to assess real-time, in situ levels of bacteria in water systems. This is achieved by detecting UV Tryptophan fluorescence, which has been shown to correlate with bacterial levels. The BACTI-Wader comprises a CTG UviLux fluorometer and a Hawk handheld display and logging unit. CTG’s UviLux fluorometers detect UV fluorescence with industry-leading sensitivity and selectivity and have been optimised for minimal interference from water turbidity.
Data is displayed on the Hawk’s colour touchscreen and logged internally. If required, the Hawk can be programmed to apply a user calibration to the reported values. The Hawk also incorporates a GPS receiver so that all logged data can be position and time stamped.
What is the difference between BACTI-Wader & BACTI-Wader Pro?
- BACTI-Wader comprises a single CTG UviLux Tryptophan fluorometer and a Hawk handheld display and logging unit.
- BACTI-Wader Pro includes an additional UviLux sensor for discriminating Tryptophan fluorescence from Coloured Dissolved Organic Matter (CDOM). This is particularly useful when CDOM background levels are high or when correlating Tryptophan concentrations across a wide range of locations where background CDOM levels may be variable.
How does it work?
BACTI-Wader and BACTI-Wader Pro detect UV fluorescence from amino acids and organic matter associated with the presence of bacteria. These compounds absorb UV light and re-emit a fraction of this energy as fluorescence at longer wavelengths. Fluorescence intensity is directly proportional to concentration. The technique is widely recognised as one of the most sensitive detection methods available.
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid in the human diet and is the main component of protein fluorescence. Recent work has indicated that Tryptophan fluorescence can be used to assess bacterial levels, which in environmental waters will often arise from faecal/sewage contamination. Therefore, high levels of Tryptophan fluorescence will alert to when sewage impacts on water quality, for example when monitoring Bathing Waters.
Fluorescence map of an environmental water sample spiked with
Tryptophan, indicating BACTI-Wader measurement window
The BACTI-Wader comprises a UviLux Tryptophan fluorometer, a 5-metre cable (longer cables are available) and the Hawk handheld display and logging unit.
The BACTI-Wader Pro provides two UviLux fluorometers, configured for Tryptophan and CDOM, securely mounted in a frame for ease of deployment. Data streams from both fluorometers are combined and reported in real-time on the Hawk data logger.
The Hawk incorporates a rechargeable battery pack, charged via the USB cable supplied. If required, the rechargeable battery pack can be replaced with standard disposable cells. User programmable thresholds allow data to be presented in a Red, Amber, Green (RAG) format, so that the operator is clearly notified when levels become significant. A plotting feature is also provided so that trends in the data can be clearly identified.
Ø70 x 150mm
|Calibrated range (QSU)||
|Example compound: sensitivity – range (ppb)||Tryptophan:
*PTSA is pyrene tetrasulphonic acid
Hawk handheld display and logging unit
320 x 240 pixel qVGA backlit LCD
70 x 50mm
210 x 110 x 45mm
-2 ºC to 40ºC
-40 ºC to 70ºC
4 hours continuous use
2 hours continuous use
|Overall size mm||
200 x 200 x 100 mm
In view of our continual improvement, the designs and specifications of our products may vary from those described.